Thursday 11 November 2010

Harry Potter - A Family United

The count down is on, it's now officially 8 days till Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 is released in the UK.  I for one can't wait!

There is something about the Harry Potter series that is just so enchanting.  I love the fact that when I get immersed in the story I feel like I'm a child again where anything seems possible.  I'm transported to a fantasy world away from the humdrum of everyday life/chores/work etc where magic is commonplace and good must conquer evil.  I still marvel at J K Rowlings imagination in creating such a complex world of magic and characters with names such a Peter Pettigrew, Bellatrix Lestrange and Albus Dumbledore.  The woman is a genius!

The other thing I love about Harry Potter is that (cheesy as it is) it unites us as a family.  We've all read the books, watched the films, discussed the actors/actresses and even played the game.  Believe me, with a 10 and 13 year old it's often difficult to find things we can share as a family.  Harry Potter is that thing!

Of course I have certain favourites from the films and the books and I believe some Directors have done the series justice and others just weren't to my taste.  I am still a huge fan of Chris Columbus' direction of The Philosophers Stone.  Something just felt comfortable and homely about this version whereas my least favourite film would be Alfonso Cuaron's 'Prisoner of Azkaban'. Hogwarts was portrayed in a different light as were the characters - something just didn't feel right!

My favourite character has to be Bellatrix Lestrange and had I actually made it to Drama School when I was 18, this is a part I would have loved to play!  Helena Bonham Carter is amazing as Bellatrix and has just the right amount of sinister and insanity about her.  I also adore Alan Rickman's portrayal of Severus Snape and I can't wait to see how he plays his part in the last two films.

I loved the Delores Umbridge character in 'The Order of the Phoenix and Imelda Staunton played this fantastically with just the right amount of pink mumsiness with an edge of venom.  In 'Half Blood Prince' I felt there should have been more about the 'Young' Tom Riddle as this part of the story gives us a such a massive insight into the beginnings of Voldemorts malevolent nature.  I know I'm asking for a lot though as a 4 hour film just wouldn't practical!

One things for sure, family TFAMMM is truly looking forward to Part 7 of Harry Potter and the 19th November can't arrive soon enough!

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I was a huge fan of the books, I remember reading the first book back when I waslittle before they became popular. I've not read the last book, I guess life got in the way of getting round to it. Going to have a look for the books next time I'm in the libary.. I want to be this excited about the films!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't start reading the books until the films came out. Thought the films were fab and then were amazed that the books were even better! :)

    ReplyDelete